We intentionally provide trainings, bring in speakers, and look for opportunities to sponsor conferences, events, or activities that encourage, promote, and encourage equity mindedness, inclusive excellence and belongingness. Examples include:
- Periodic offerings of the excellent trainings and workshops offered through OASIS, the Women’s and LGBTQA+’s Centers, and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion (e.g., Ouch! The Stereotypes that Hurt).
- Discussion groups about books, such as Dolly Chugh’s The Person You Mean to Be and Robin Wall Kimmerer’s Braiding Sweetgrass.
- Screening of the films Picture a Scientist and Hearts of Glass with follow on panel discussion and facilitated discussion groups.
- Navigating Differences training offered through Nebraska Extensions’ Reaching One, Reaching All interest group.
- Co-sponsoring We Are Nebraska, an improvisational group on campus that increases awareness of the diversity that exists among UNL students.
- Co-sponsoring the university’s institutional partnership with the Associate for Women In Science (AWIS).
- Support of a grassroots effort, called Women Supporting Women, to create a network of support and mentoring for women faculty members in IANR.
- Reestablishment and vitalization of a chapter of Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS)