February 16, 2022
NOTE: IANR Off-campus departments/individuals choosing to haul scrap metal to Alter Metal Recycling in Lincoln must follow the On-campus scrap or salvage guidelines.
No IANR off-campus department/individual is allowed to remove or haul scrap metal (including valuable metals such as copper, brass, stainless steel, aluminum, iron, etc.) to any recycler without documented “prior notification to” and “authorization from” his/her direct Supervisor. It is the responsibility of the department/individual to send an email to the Supervisor that includes the following information:
- The date scrap is to be hauled,
- The recycler chosen,
- The cost center number in which to deposit funds.
Upon receipt of the Supervisor’s approval email, the department/individual may proceed with the transaction.
In addition to the above, please note the following guidelines:
- All scrap “must” be transported in a University vehicle. (No personal vehicles allowed.)
- Personnel hauling scrap are asked by recyclers for UNL Identification and may be subject to being fingerprinted. You are to provide this information regardless of any circumstances.
- It is the department’s responsibility to supply the recycler a name (first and last) and departmental description for the comments section of the scale tickets.
- If it is determined the scrap metal has no value, or otherwise cannot be sold, the department generating the scrap will be responsible for its disposal and any associated costs.
- Some recyclers will provide a collection container (bin/box/roll off) at minimal or no cost “if” materials meet certain criteria. Notification “must” be sent via e-mail to the Supervisor regarding the date the recycler picks up these containers, and the recycler used, and cost center number.
- In addition, please provide Inventory Surplus & Asset Management email@example.com any UNL#’s associated with items scrapped that would be considered a “fixed asset” (machinery, irrigation, and/or any item with substantial worth at time of purchase).
- All payments from the recycler must be in the form of a check made out to “University of Nebraska-Lincoln” and identify the department’s name on the check.
- All checks, scale tickets, and copies of the Supervisor’s approval emails to proceed, including collection container notifications, must be presented to the department’s IANR Business Center. The Business Center will process the deposit into the cost center identified in the department’s request.
The University reserves the right to dispose of scrap metal by bidding through Procurement Services with the approval of the Vice Chancellor for Business and Finance, or the Director of Procurement Services.
In the case of potentially hazardous property, disposal will be made with the assistance of the Environmental Health & Safety Department.